Beauty is in the Eye of the Holder

I won't say how old I was when I stopped believing this; I thought for a long time that people were saying "beauty is in the eye of the holder." To me that meant that you could only be beautiful if you saw yourself as beautiful. You are the holder of your image and if you see that image as beautiful then it would be true. 

I now know that the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," meaning the person looking upon you has the control of whether or not you are beautiful. 

Just as much as I believe we are predisposed to see our own flaws, I think we are predisposed to find our own likeness appealing, which is probably why we think our own children are cuter than others and why selfies are even a thing. 


So I like my interpretation of that saying better (the incorrect one). We see beauty in ourselves, whether we admit it or not, and that is what makes us beautiful to others, whether they admit it or not. No one else is in control of our beauty. The beholder can kiss my beautiful ass! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have a Good Day!

HOLLYWOOD - The American Nightmare

A Book Review: The Rules of Magic, by Alice Hoffman