Have a Good Day!

Earlier this week I went to pump gas and all I had was cash so I had to go into the store to pay. The young man behind the counter was polite and the transaction was quick. Because I was fresh from work I ended the short conversation by saying "Have a good day!" in my best customer service voice and his response was "Alright."

It struck me as odd, mostly because his inflection was of someone being given directions and agreeing to follow them in a half hearted and resigned way. Maybe no one else told him to have a good day so he hadn't thought about it, and then he felt like he should just because I told him to with such enthusiasm.

Does it make your day in any way if someone tells you, "Have a good day!" Is it an annoyance, or do you even notice those little polite sayings when you are busily running through your day?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOLLYWOOD - The American Nightmare

A Book Review: The Rules of Magic, by Alice Hoffman