It's the Most Bipolar-ful Time of the Year

South Pole - I have written a few Holiday rants this year, that I decided against posting here, because I didn't want to seem all "Bah-humbugish." Mid-November I sank into an unrelenting panic.  I was worried that Christmas would be horrible for my family. I was worried that this year would be the year my kids would remember as "the worst Christmas ever," not only because of the lack of money, and therefore lack of presents, but because of my blackening mood and complete disinterest in the season as a whole.

North Pole - After allowing a glimmer of this worry loose on my facebook page, I was awakened to the spirit of the holiday with a simple comment from my Mother-in-law. She offered to loan me money in order to do some shopping for the kids. Considering my In-laws are also my landlords, and they are usually the first ones to feel the effects of our brokeness, this was a very unexpected and sweet offer. I never took her up on it because, as luck would have it, my Mom had decided that she would help us get the kids what they wished for by sending us cash to spend on them this year( You have no idea how much that helped us, and how much stress it took off my shoulders) Then we ended up getting paid earlier than expected. I was full of Christmas joy shopping for my kids gifts. I was in an amazing mood, imagining the reactions for each gift as I put them in my shopping cart.

South Pole - Soon my melancholy returned as I realized that I would not be with my kids on the day that they got to have breakfast with, and receive gifts from Santa. This special day had become quite a tradition over the past 4 years and I was sad that I would miss it because I had to work that day. The younger girls were very disappointed that I wasn't going to be there, but they were still excited to meet Santa again.
I got up early and got them ready to meet Santa, and instructed my oldest daughter to take plenty of pictures and video while they were there. but at work I was sad, and when my boss asked me how I was, I told him I was so, and I told him what I was missing to be there. After he apologized I returned to work, but had to take a moment in the restroom to cry a little, and then collect myself. I felt a little dumb, and kind of like a big baby. so I decided to suck it up.

North Pole - Finishing our Christmas shopping and wrapping presents really got me back in the right mood for the holiday. I am so excited to see my kids open their presents this year. Lydia (8) has the best reactions, and this year she has an obsession that has aided me in finding tear worthy gifts for her. (Thank you Doctor Who!) Abby (4) is getting everything she asked for and the older girls will love their gifts.
My neighbor came over Tuesday with a WAGON full of presents for our entire family. My amazing husband has been coming home from work every day and cleaning one room in the house to get this crazy place under control. I've been on a Christmas time cloud 9.

South Pole - Today stated the worry about the aftermath of Christmas and the self doubt about how much we spent on presents. Did I go overboard? It might be a tight month.

North Pole -  and today my SECRET SANTA surprised me with a lovely card and a tear worthy gift of my own. (You know who you are, but you have no idea how much I appreciate that you were thinking of me during this hectic time of year)

I am bound and determined to stay this happy for the rest of the year. The past month has been bipolar, but I'm cutting you off South Pole! You can take your negative pull and stick it up your Prime Meridian!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have a Good Day!

HOLLYWOOD - The American Nightmare

A Book Review: The Rules of Magic, by Alice Hoffman